Friday, March 01, 2013

Friday Highlights: Sayed Kashua at Jewish Book Week

Sayed Kashua
Jewish Book Week continues in London this weekend. One of the guest speakers is the award-winning author Sayed Kashua (سيد قشوع), author of several books in the Hebrew language one of which is 'Let it Be Morning ليكن صباحا' - which I read in Arabic last year although it has also been translated into several other languages including English (I will post a review soon). Kashua is also a columnist for the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz. 

Kashua is also the creator of the TV sitcom 'Arab Labor - شغل عرب' broadcast on Israeli television screens and viewed the world over. Kashua, with his dry wit and intelligent humour, has succeeded with his hit television comedy in beaming Palestinian perspectives and points of view right into Israeli living rooms as part of a satirical tv show that focuses on the daily life of Arab Amjad (played by Norman Issa) and his wish to genuinely integrate into Israeli society. Trust me when I say that it is a genuinely good show (although I have yet to see series 3), both funny and sad, it has been labelled as "The Seinfeld of the Middle East'.

Personally, I have totally enjoyed everything this intelligent writer has offered up so far and as for his latest book 'Exposure', this morning I made sure to download it onto my Kindle in order to get to it as soon as possible.

(To book tickets for the event, click HERE).

No comments: