Monday, November 29, 2010

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

I had read a review about this book when it was first published and it has been on my reading wish list for some time. So although I am now swamped with a stack of books waiting to be read when I happened upon this book, I just had to have it in spite of all my promises to myself to stop buying books for now. Both pocket and time are less than desired.

However some books just call out to you. Of course it sounds strange but some books really speak to you and no more so than this one. And on this note I introduce to you The End of Mr. Y, a 'cursed book' that author Scarlett Thomas' main character Ariel happens upon one day after sequence of 'accidental' events. It is as if fate had wanted her to find it. As soon as she finishes reading it, Ariel is thrown head on into an exhilarating world of mystery, love, and time-travel.

This is not an easy book to read but if like myself you enjoy debates regarding the creation of the universe and phenomenology, then you will seriously enjoy this well researched book. Finally, a book that deals with big ass issues in an intelligent well thought out manner.

Two things that I did not like in the book, the fact that parts of the book felt more like a computer game and the second (probably more disappointing bit) is the epilogue. I won't say more but hopefully you will take the time to read the book and make up your own mind.

Stars: * * * *

No comments: