Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hurray for Pancake Day!

Shrove Tuesday, also known as Pancake Day in the UK, or Mardi Gras in the US and France, is the best day of the year in our house as far as we're concerned. It's the only day we can justify having obscene amounts of chocolate spread slathered in wanton abandon on pancakes for not one, not two but for three meals of the same day. And before you pass judgement, I draw your attention my dear readers to the fact that the name given to this day in Iceland is 'Sprengidagur' which literally means "The Day of Bursting". I rest my case!

Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent which is considered the beginning of the build-up to Easter. Long time ago, people would go to church on this day and confess their sins for which they would be 'shriven' or forgiven. They would celebrate with a feast afterward. The following day is Ash Wednesday and it is when the period of Lent actually commences and serves to remind Christians of Jesus's 40 days without food spent alone in the desert. To commemorate the occasion, many Christians give up a favourite food for 40 days and give money to charity. Lent ends on Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday.

I actually, for the first time ever, tried a gluten-free recipe for my pancakes this year (all I'll say is that I'm on one of my diets yet again). They were brilliant and very easy to make. Click HERE for recipe.

No comments: