Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Valentine's: It's all in the timing!

February is a special month. Not only is this year a leap one thanks to February ending on the 29th, but also in between those very few days lie two other special days. That of the 14th and 23rd of February. Aha, I know that you know that we all know the significance of the 14th; It is the day of love meaning: there is no other day in the entire year good enough for those three simple words of I Love You, they had to have their own special day. And if that were not pressure enough, those three words can't just be proclaimed outright but there is this mind boggling charade of robotic foreplay ranging from the surprise breakfast in bed (think of the crumbs people) and the roses (allergies) and then that mass dining experience where the price of a meal (and the roses aforementioned) rise like it's the Last Supper experience. I mean honestly for crying out loud, do people still celebrate Valentine's Day?

But hold on, WAIT! there is always in February a silver lining for cynics like myself. The 23rd looms big and large, full of ennui and melodrama where without hesitation my romantic streak comes to full bloom as my soul rejoices in the re-reading of the ultimate of all romantics John Keats. On this same day in 1821, poet John Keats died in Rome of tuberculosis. He was only 25. You have only to read some of his letters to Fanny Brawne and it is enough to make you weep for hours on end. To  Fanny he wrote:

"... I have been astonished that Men could die Martyrs for religion - I have shudder'd at it - I shudder no more - I could be martyr'd for my Religion - Love is my religion - I could die for that - I could die for you.  My Creed is Love and you are its only tenet - You have ravish'd me away by a Power I cannot resist: and yet I could resist till I saw you; and even since I have seen you I have endeavoured often "to reason against the reasons of my Love."  I can do that no more - the pain would be too great - My Love is selfish - I cannot breathe without you..."

Well, if this is your kind of romantic thing (cheesy you might think, but our lives and relationships could do with a bit more cheesy these days) or maybe you would like to do something different with your partner this year, then check out the Keats House in Hampstead. On Friday, 10 Feb, they are having a fab candle-lit tour of Keats house FOR ALL AGES with fizz, chocolates, and even a writing challenge inspired by Keats and then on Saturday 11 Feb, they have an event entitled Love is my Religion which entails reading excerpts from the letters Keats sent to his fiancee Fanny Brawne.

Why am I mentioning Valentine this so early in January? Because places people are very LIMITED and if you want to truly impress someone, preparation is key. Feel free to thank me anytime!

For more info, click HERE.

No comments: